Sunday, September 20, 2009

The Lord gave his Word


The Word for today:
Psalm 68:19-35


mark this: 68:11--
The Lord gave the Word.

I'm not a big deal, or even a medium deal. I struggle to write these meager sentences. I didn't grow into much wisdom, or stature, or favor with man. I bet you aren't a real big deal either.

But here's the Good News: you and I are a big deal to God.

I can't get enough of many of the Psalms, and Psalm 68 is one of them. I'll never forget the first time I read Psalm 68. There's a great ceremony, a procession of mighty princes into God's sanctuary--the princes of Judah, the princes of Zebulun, the princes of Naphtali!

But here's the part I'll never forget: There is Benjamin, the least of them, in the lead (1).

I've known disgrace. Certainly I know sin. I've known years--entire years--when I could not summon a single reason to smile.

If you're little like Benjamin, or lonely, or bound--in addiction, depression, or circumstances beyond your control--re-read this Psalm. This one's for you. Because when the Lord gave the Word (2), the world turned upside down, so that many who are first shall be last, and the last first (3).

When the Word became flesh (4), he was just another baby in out-of-the-way Bethlehem. But he stayed true. He lived true. He died staying true. And he was too true for death to contain.

So he ascended on high, leading a host of captives (6). The lonely weren't lonely anymore. They have a Father and a family now. The prisoners were set free (7).

Follow him. He's been everywhere. He was born in a stable, where the sacrificial lambs stayed. But he didn't stay down. He climbed a high hill. He was lifted up on a cross, suspended between man and God. Then he ascended on high.

And you can too. All because the Lord gave his Word.

(1) Psalm 68:27; (2) Psalm 68:11; (3) Matthew 19:30; (4) John 1:14; (5) Isaiah 11:6; (6) Psalm 68:18; (7) Psalm 68:5-6; (8)

No comments:

Post a Comment