Saturday, October 31, 2009

God draws himself--and draws us closer


John 10:1-21

When we try to define or explain God to someone, we most often struggle with the task. Who can get his arms around the I AM who has always existed and always will? How can we describe the one who created not only this world, but all the worlds that have ever existed--and yet has numbered every hair on our heads, and knows every sparrow that falls. How can we share or even know such a complex and powerful Being?

The answer to this question lies in Jesus Christ:
God loves us so much that he became one of us and lived among us. He then began to paint very clear pictures showing us who he is and how we can know him. He took everyday things we are familiar with and showed us Himself.

In our scripture passage today, he explains that he is a good shepherd and we, his sheep, know when he speaks. He goes on to say he is the gate; when we enter through him, we can experience salvation.

His purposes are revealed throughout scripture. God in the person of Jesus Christ reveals his character and his heart and, amazingly, his desire to enter into a personal relationship with--you!

The King James Version of the Bible uses the word similitude (1). A similitude is what it sounds like--something familiar to us which is similar to an attribute of God, thereby helping us to know him better:

I AM the Good Shepherd. (John 10:11, 14)
I AM the Gate for the sheep. (John 10:7, 9)
I AM the bread of life. (John 6:35)
I AM the living water. (John 4:10-15)
I AM the true vine. (John 15:1,5)
I AM the light of the world. (John 8:12)
I AM the Resurrection and the Life. (John 11:25)
I AM the Way, the Truth, and the Life. (John 14:6)

The list goes on and on, picturing what he means to us and drawing us into closer relationship with him.

Today Jesus Christ is living and moving in our midst. As the song goes, "He walks with me and talks with me and he tells me I am his own."

Expect the Lord Jesus Christ to manifest himself afresh and anew in your daily life. Turn Light and Vine and Water and Bread and Gate and Truth and Shepherd over in your mind. As you do, you will continue to know him better and better.

(1) see Hosea 12:10/KJV

No comments:

Post a Comment