Thursday, February 23, 2012

by the time he gets to Phoenix



The Word for today:
Hebrews 6:9-20


mark this: Hebrews 6:17-19
Because God wanted to make the unchanging nature of his purpose very clear to the heirs of what was promised, he confirmed it with an oath. God did this so that, by two unchangeable things in which it is impossible for God to lie, we who have fled to take hold of the hope offered to us may be greatly encouraged. We have this hope as an anchor for the soul, firm and secure.


I've spent the last few days on the road, traveling from college to college, touring the campuses, meeting with professors and coaches and financial aid representatives.

It's nearing crunch time for our son Frankie, who will soon decide where to go to college this September. I, of course, have advised him to go to the University of Phoenix, which has a branch in our house! I'll bet there's a branch in your house, too, because wherever there is a computer with an internet connection, there is the University of Phoenix!

You've heard the phrase "student-athlete.” Well, Frankie is all of the above. His college decision will be driven by a mix of faith, academics, and athletics.

One of Frankie's priorities--athletics--puts the University of Phoenix at a competitive disadvantage, seeing that they have no teams in any sport. But I've tried to convince Frankie that I am the track coach for the University of Phoenix Mice (their mascot, get it?)

Except for the fact that I'm lying, there could be some credibility in my claim. I was a high school track and cross-country coach for a long while, and achieved more than modest success in those positions.

So, embellishing the lie, I tell Frankie that I am the coach of the undefeated U.P. Mice. And not only are my teams undefeated, but every one of my runners is undefeated as well!

As you can see, and as I've often said before, I don't want my sons to go to a college any further away than the little room we call our "library." I'm even thinking of having some "U. P. Mice Track & Field" t-shirts made up; maybe even a hoody (kids love 'em) with "There's a U.P. Mouse in the House" emblazoned across the front and back. That oughtta keep him here.

But, though I’m loath to admit it, even if I were to do all of that, I know one handsome lad, now 18, who won't be at U.P. next year.

And so I've got to ready some advice for the day in late August when Frankie will start the next chapter without his Mom and I there to help him turn the pages.

What I think I might write in his graduation card is Hebrews 6:17-19:

Because God wanted to make the unchanging nature of his purpose very clear to the heirs of what was promised, he confirmed it with an oath. God did this so that, by two unchangeable things in which it is impossible for God to lie, we who have fled to take hold of the hope offered to us may be greatly encouraged. We have this hope as an anchor for the soul, firm and secure.

These verses have some great nautical imagery, which Frankie will find meaningful. (Frankie and I have done a lot of fishing in an aluminum utility boat that we gussied up to look and perform like a real bass boat. We even home-made our anchors with cement and #10 cans.)

The two unchangeable things that form the flukes of the anchor are God's promises (His Word) backed by God's character (Himself). The guarantor of God’s promises is no less than God. To confirm his promises he swore an oath by himself because there is nothing or no one higher to swear by. To swear by anything lesser would have the effect of making his oath less permanent.

Everyone knows what an anchor is, but a fisherman knows what an anchor means. So, along with a card with these verses written inside, I think I'll give him a homemade anchor and a real man-sized reference Bible in a box. That will make the perfect graduation gift, don't you agree?

Meanwhile, our other son, Eddy, will be entering his senior year in September, so I'm going to make sure he meets the undefeated U.P. track coach. Maybe I won't have to make another anchor next year.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment