Saturday, April 21, 2012

heard it in a love song (can't be wrong) -- part 1



The Word for today:
Deuteronomy 2


May I be frank?

Well, I already am. Frank’s my name.

I thought I’d start out with some disarming drivel because what I’m about to say will step on some toes:

I can’t stomach the prevalent “Jesus is my boyfriend” theme that seems to have permeated Christian music.

And you might, rightly, say to me, “Then turn to another station.” But I don’t listen to Christian music on the radio, which is optional. I’m getting more than my fill of it at church (which is less optional), and I'm left with very few places to “turn.”

In seemingly every church, some overwrought singer is gushing every Sunday about his or her desire to feel Jesus’ heartbeat. If it weren’t for the name Jesus (which is sometimes in the chorus) and the fact that I’m in a church, there is absolutely no difference between these lyrics and the pinings of a moonstruck 7th grader who has developed a rampant crush for her paperboy:
“Draw Me Close”

Draw me close to You never let me go
I lay it all down again
To hear You say that I'm Your friend
You are my desire no one else will do
'Cause nothing else could take Your place
To feel the warmth of Your embrace
Help me find the way bring me back to You
If I may be both frank and curt, Yuck!

Here (if you can stand it) is another example. This one is called (wouldn’t you know it) “Hold Me.” Though not by the same composer, it sounds for all the world like the moonstruck lass in “Draw Me Close” graduated from high school, got a job, and is now pining for the junior accountant in the third cubicle to the right:
(I love, I love, I love, I love the way You hold me)
(I love, I love, I love, I love the way You hold me)
(I love, I love, I love, I love the way You hold me)
(I love, I love, I love, I love the way You, the way Ya, the way Ya)

I've had a long day I just wanna relax
Don't have time for my friends, no time to chit-chat
Problems at my job, wonderin' what to do
I know I should be working, but I'm thinking of You and
Just when I feel this crazy world is gonna bring me down
That's when Your smile comes around
Oo, I love the way You hold me, by my side You'll always be
You take each and everyday, make it special in some way
I love the way You hold me, in Your arms I'll always be
You take each and everyday, make it special in some way
I love You more than the words in my brain can express
Oh my!
"Your Love is Extravagant"

Your love is extravagant
Your friendship, it is intimate
I feel like moving to the rhythm of Your grace
Your fragrance is intoxicating in our secret place
Your love is extravagant
Oh dear!

And, finally, the song that gave me the heebie jeebies just 5 days ago in church :
I wanna sit at your feet.
Drink from the cup in your hand.
Lay back against you and breathe, hear your heart beat
This love is so deep, it’s more than I can stand.
I melt in your peace, it’s overwhelming.
The lyrics on paper are unsettling enough, but you should have seen the accompanying look on this dame's face as she sang them.  OMG!

There is very nearly nothing in this recent rash of songs which separates them from the carnal realm. Which makes it nearly impossible to stand next to my sons in church and sing these songs. (Come to think of it, if you strike “nearly” from the previous sentence, the sentence becomes truer.)  Come to think of it, forget about singing these songs. The truest truth is that I find it impossible to stand next to my sons during these songs without longing to disappear beneath the floorboards.

Though (I guess) these songs are meant to be understood figuratively, I still fail to see how they advance an individual’s relationship to God. And when the song is over, it’s still not over; its effects linger in the air.  I’m not offended as much as I am disturbed and saddened.

What saddens me is how many young guys, like my own sons, find these songs either faintly or overtly creepy and thus determine, mid-song, that they can’t wait to get out, and stay out, of anything resembling “church.”

To a large segment of the people we are trying to reach, such songs can be terminal to any possible relationship that they might have had with Jesus. They, and I, would feel more comfortable in the company of snake handlers.

With so many songs to choose from, why these?  And even if someone might personally benefit from them, what are they doing in church?

***

Alright, I've had my say. Tomorrow we will see if the Bible has anything to say about some of the issues I've raised.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment