Wednesday, October 31, 2012

let the light speak for itself


The Word for today:
John 9
mark this: John 9:5 --
While I am in the world, I am the light of the world.
My Dad died 25 years ago.
It seemed to me that he was forever fixing something. He'd be fixing his car, his boat, the house, the house next door, or my bike. And when he did, I always had to tag along, carrying the toolbox.
He'd be underneath the car and a hand would stick out: "Six-inch Crescent," he'd say; or "Phillips medium." So I'd find that tool in the box and place it in his hand.
Sometimes we'd be working in the cellar or the garage and he'd say, "Get out of my light." Then I'd move aside so he could see.
"Light" in the Bible is never self-generated. It comes from outside ourselves. It comes via God's Word. In fact, God speaks light:
Then God said, "Let there be light"; and there was light. (Genesis 1:3)
Light is one of the Bible's master images. As a physical reality or a spiritual symbol, light is at the heart of such central biblical themes as creation, providence, judgment, redemption and sanctification.
There's a verse in the Bible which carries light from eternity past to eternity future--at the speed of light:
For God, who said, "Let light shine out of darkness," made his light shine in our hearts to give us the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Christ. (2 Corinthians 4:6)
I'll see you tomorrow. I'm going to step aside now, and let the light speak for itself:
God created light. He lives in light:
Genesis 1:3-5
2 Corinthians 4:6
1 Timothy 6:15-16
Jesus Christ is the true light of the world:
2 Samuel 22:29
Psalm 18:28; Psalm 27:1
Isaiah 9:2
John 1:1-9; 8:12; 9:5; 12:46
1 John 1:5-7
God's Word is a light for our lives:
Psalm 119:105; Psalm 119:129-131
As Christians, we are a light to the world. Our words and actions are to shine God's truth to the world:
Isaiah 42:6
Matthew 5:14-16
Luke 8:16
Acts 13:47
Ephesians 5:8-11
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment