Thursday, December 6, 2012

Was it 'Jesus before Pilate'--or 'Pilate before Jesus'?


(by Norm the Elder)
John 19:11--
"You would have no power over me if it were not given to you from above..."
In this quote, is Jesus saying that no one or nothing can have any power over him unless his Father in heaven allows it? Can we deduct that it is God who orchestrated the events and direction of Jesus' life?
Of course, scripture asserts that the answer to both these questions is a resounding 'Yes!'
I may not understand the how or why of that 'Yes'--but that doesn't change the fact that the answer is 'Yes.'
Does this apply to my life as well? If Jesus can say, "You would have no power over me if it were not given to you from above," can those who have been born again, born of the Spirit, say to the world and everything that is in it, "You have no power over me if it is not given to you from above"?
Again, the scriptural evidence strongly supports that the answer for my life is 'Yes.' I have the same Father as Jesus, I have the same Spirit. He is the true vine, I am the branch. I share in his inheritance, his glory, his suffering. I am a citizen of his kingdom, I can have his mind, I can do what he has done. I can say to the world, "You have no power over me if it is not given to you from above."
As the songwriter Thomas O. Chisholm penned when referring to God the Father, "Great is thy faithfulness." There is no doubt in my mind that God is faithful. The question is, How great is my faith? When the world presses in on me, when I am faced with problems and difficulties large and small, can I look each one of them in the eye and say like Jesus said, "You would have no power over me if it were not given to you from above."
When I live each day knowing that God the Father is in absolute control of what happens to me, I become steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord (1). I experience an abundant, victorious life in any and all situations. I am driven by purpose, not circumstances. My testimony is strong, I can run the race well, I can finish the course. My salvation is sure.
Prayer:
Dear Lord,
Thank you that you are in complete control of my life. Build my faith so that I can look any man, any disease, any situation or conflict in the eye and say, like Jesus said, "You would have no power over me if it were not given to you from above."
Thank you. In Jesus' name. Amen.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
(1) 1 Corinthians 15:58

No comments:

Post a Comment