Saturday, November 1, 2014

"Whosoever will"-- no way this game is fixed

The Word for today:
Romans 9.14-29
mark this:
For those God foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the likeness of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brothers.  (Romans 8:29)
Whenever the word predestination comes up, we get either scared or smug or perplexed or flat-out angry that God would do such a thing.
Those responses would be wrong, wrong, wrong, and wrong--because Biblical predestination isn't a curse, it's a promise.
***
No one is being forced to be lost: If you ever hear someone talk about being predestined to be lost, you will know he is unscriptural:
The Lord isn't really being slow about his promise to return, as some people think. No, he is being patient for your sake. He does not want anyone to perish, so he is giving more time for everyone to repent. (2 Peter 3:9)
Predestination is never used in reference to unsaved people. It refers only to the saved. The “predestination” section in Romans chapter 8 guarantees sanctification, which is the process by which God brings believers all the way to Christ-likeness:
For those God foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the likeness of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brothers. (Romans 8:29)
The “predestination” section in Romans chapter 8 is a promise that when God starts out with 100 sheep, he’s going to come through with 100 sheep (see Luke 15). Predestination is a promise that God finishes what he starts:
Being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus. (Philippians 1:6)
***
Though it is true that God can see your destiny before it arrives--he knows the end from the beginning (1)--that doesn't mean he chose it for you. The Bible makes it very clear that whosoever will may come to God:
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believes in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. (John 3:16)
Come, everyone who thirsts, come to the waters; and he who has no money, come, buy and eat! Come, buy wine and milk without money and without price. (Isaiah 55:1)
On the last day of the feast, the great day, Jesus stood up and cried out, "If anyone thirsts, let him come to me and drink. Whoever believes in me, as the Scripture has said, 'Out of his heart will flow rivers of living water.'" (John 7:37-38)
And the Spirit and the bride say, Come. And let him that hears say, Come. And let him that is thirsty come. And whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely. (Revelation 22:17)
***
Finally, if big words like "predestination" confuse you like they confuse the rest of us, then look at the pictures.  Look long and hard at the cross of Jesus Christ. There's no way this game has been fixed.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
(1) Isaiah 46:10

2 comments:

  1. Franklyn: "For all those that GOD foreknew." Perhaps I have always taken the passage, you refer to in Romans the wrong way; but for me Psalm 139:13-16 seems to answer the question as to who "all those," actually refers to.>>>"For YOU formed my inner parts,YOU covered me in my mothers womb. I will praise YOU, for I am made with reverence and love. YOUR works marvel me and my soul longs to know YOU. Though I was made in secret, YOU saw my substance before I was ever formed." From this scripture I must conclude that the persons referred to in Romans is you and me, and anybody else that wants to believe. Calvinists seem to teach that you and I don't have the capacity to believe first. Even Dorothy and the scarecrow had to believe first. Their final result was not quit what they expected; but they had to believe first or they never would have made the trip to the land of OZ. With JESUS there are no surprises. HE is the same today as HE was yesterday. To me the pre-destination is GODS plan for all mankind. That we all choose to be conformed to the likeness of HIS SON. To me HIS plan is much like your pre-destination plan for your children. You have certain plans and expectations for your own sons; however they also have free will and they can go their own way if they so choose. Believe me I know!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've thought this through...

    I used to wonder why spiritual precepts are so difficult. Then I spent a decade wrestling with the toughest of them, until I limped away from the struggle as blessed as Jacob.

    May we never stop wrasslin' with God.

    ReplyDelete