Tuesday, May 26, 2015

I wouldn’t do that if I were you.

The Word for today:
Mark 15:1-21
Yesterday, we saw Jesus turn the tables on his accusers. Suddenly, in the midst of his interrogation before Caiaphas and the Sanhedrin, Jesus made it perfectly clear to them that they were the ones who were on trial...
When Caiaphas, the high priest, asked him, "Are you the Christ, the Son of the Blessed?" Jesus answered,
"I am, and you will see the Son of Man seated at the right hand of Power, and coming with the clouds of heaven." (Mark 14:61-62)
Jesus' answer was far more than just a “Yes” to Caiaphas’ question. It was also a terrible warning, alluding to three Old Testament messianic passages to tell them that he was their coming Judge!
“You will see…”
Isaiah 52:8 says, “When the LORD returns to Zion, they will see it with their own eyes.”
“…the Son of Man seated at the right hand of Power…"
Psalm 110:1 adds, “The LORD says to my Lord: ‘Sit at my right hand, until I make your enemies your footstool.’”
“…and coming with the clouds of heaven.”
Daniel 7:13 records, "I was watching in the night visions, And behold, One like the Son of Man, coming with the clouds of heaven! He came to the Ancient of Days, and they brought Him near before Him.
“You are judging me, but I will judge you,” Jesus was saying to Caiaphas and the Sanhedrin
***
A well-known Bible verse tells us that God is not mocked (1). Believe it. No matter how much you may hear God being ridiculed, he is ultimately never demeaned -- because somehow or another, mockery of God actually transubstantiates into his glory:
Surely the wrath of man shall praise Him. (Psalms 76:10)
Jesus had already seen his trial played out in scripture:
The kings of the earth set themselves, and the rulers take counsel together, against the LORD and against his Anointed, saying, "Let us burst their bonds apart and cast away their cords from us."
He who sits in the heavens laughs; the Lord holds them in derision.
Then he will speak to them in his wrath, and terrify them in his fury, saying, "As for me, I have set my King on Zion, my holy hill."
I will tell of the decree: The LORD said to me, "You are my Son; today I have begotten you.
Ask of me, and I will make the nations your heritage, and the ends of the earth your possession.
You shall break them with a rod of iron and dash them in pieces like a potter's vessel." (Psalms 2:2-9)
He held them in derision, knowing that their accusations would one day turn against them:
The wicked plots against the just,
And gnashes at him with his teeth.
The Lord laughs at him,
For He sees that his day is coming.
The wicked have drawn the sword
And have bent their bow,
To cast down the poor and needy,
To slay those who are of upright conduct.
Their sword shall enter their own heart. (Psalms 37:12-15)
Mankind presumes to judge God. I wouldn’t do that if I were you.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
(1) Galatians 6:7

No comments:

Post a Comment