Saturday, June 25, 2016

Holy Hero


(written by Vickie)
The Word for today:  Ezekiel 36:16-38
Mark this verse: Ezekiel 36:23 --
"I will show the holiness of my great name, which has been profaned among the nations, the name you have profaned among them. Then the nations will know that I am the LORD, declares the Sovereign LORD, when I show myself holy through you before their eyes."
Ever need a hero?
Little girls dream of romantic heroes on white horses who sweep in to rescue from impending disaster or the evil machinations of the villain. Little boys dream of heroes too. My sons have introduced me to the world of boy's heroes. These heroes have super powers, impossibly large biceps and perform great feats of bravery, daring, strength and honor.
These heroes rescue the underdogs, the innocent, the needy and weak.
Most of us outgrow these heroes. They become a mismatched remedy to the real life calamities and crises we experience. One of the most obvious reasons we leave them behind is that they are flawed --like us.
Life teaches us that we need more than what we can bring. We need a holy hero, a divine rescue.
The house of Israel had made a mess of things. Going about in the world dragging God's holy name through the muck. In our heroic stories they would make an unlikely people to rescue. They had traded innocence for compliance with evil, giving up faithfulness they made alliances with God's enemies all the while wearing the colors of the Sovereign Lord.
Still, God makes this grand announcement of His rescue:
"I will take you out of the nations..."
"I will gather you back..."
"I will cleanse you..."
"I will give you a new heart..."
"I will put my Spirit in you..."
"I will save you..."
 (36:24-30)
God makes His motives clear, " It is not for your sake that I do these things, but for the sake of my holy name...(v.22)." God's Kingdom is sure, safe, unsoiled or compromised by the behavior of his rebellious people. He doesn't discard His plan- His Kingdom goes forward. God will reveal Himself though these unlikely ambassadors- to bring His salvation to the world. His rescue is for those undeserving of rescue, for even the one who would slap away the hand of the rescuer.
Jesus Christ completed the "I wills" for all those who trust in His holy name and the Spirit has sealed that work.
Because of His holiness, He is able to save us.
Bless His holy name!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment