Monday, July 10, 2017

by all means, he ran to win

The Word for today:
Acts 19:1-20
We (correctly) think of Paul as a stickler for the truth: doctrinaire, unbending, staunchly defending the citadel of faith. He wouldn't compromise the truth under any circumstances.
But, at the same time, he could be surprisingly flexible:
While working with the Jews, I live like a Jew in order to win them; and even though I myself am not subject to the Law of Moses, I live as though I were when working with those who are, in order to win them.
In the same way, when working with Gentiles, I live like a Gentile, outside the Jewish Law, in order to win Gentiles. This does not mean that I don't obey God's law; I am really under Christ's law.
Among the weak in faith I become weak like one of them, in order to win them. So I become all things to all people, that I may save some of them by whatever means are possible.  (1 Corinthians 9:20-22)
Paul wouldn't compromise the Way:
Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me." (John 14:6)
But various means were all permissible--as long as they got the job done:
So I become all things to all people, that I may save some of them by whatever means are possible.
He usually reasoned--proved--from the Old Testament scriptures that Jesus is the promised Messiah. But when his audience did not have the scriptural background to understand his argument, Paul reasoned from their cultural backgrounds. He quoted their poetry; he referred to their gods (1), and then he--irrefutably--brought Jesus into their picture.
By all possible means, he said, he meant to save some. He wasn't in it to place, or to show. He was in it to win it:
Among the weak in faith I become weak like one of them, in order to win them. So I become all things to all people, that I may save some of them by whatever means are possible. All this I do for the gospel's sake, in order to share in its blessings. Surely you know that many runners take part in a race, but only one of them wins the prize. Run, then, in such a way as to win the prize. Every athlete in training submits to strict discipline, in order to be crowned with a wreath that will not last; but we do it for one that will last forever. That is why I run straight for the finish line; that is why I am like a boxer who does not waste his punches. I harden my body with blows and bring it under complete control, to keep myself from being disqualified after having called others to the contest.  (1 Corinthians 9:22-27)
He ran to win. And, by God, he did:
As for me, the hour has come for me to be sacrificed; the time is here for me to leave this life. I have done my best in the race, I have run the full distance, and I have kept the faith.
And now the prize awaits me – the crown of righteousness that the Lord, the righteous Judge, will give me on that great day of his return.  (2 Timothy 4:6-7)
And so can we:
And the prize is not just for me but for all who eagerly look forward to his glorious return.  (2 Timothy 4:8)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
(1) see Acts 17:22-28

No comments:

Post a Comment