Saturday, September 30, 2017

wisdom isn't a what

The Word for today:
Proverbs 9
mark this: Proverbs 8:22-23
The LORD possessed me in the beginning of his way, before his works of old.
I was set up from everlasting, from the beginning, or ever the earth was.
and this: Proverbs 9:10
The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom.
So a person takes a test, and then we assign an intelligence quotient based on his answers.
That is so wrong, on so many levels.
First of all, intelligence is more reliably discerned by the quality of a person's questions than by his answers. In order not to offend anyone else, I'll use myself as an example to show you what I mean…
Once upon a time, I set out to find wisdom. What is wisdom, I wondered, and where could wisdom be found?
Directed by my questions, I chased wisdom over hill and dale. I climbed every mountain and forded every stream until my questions led me straight down the rabbit hole. "What?" and "Where?" led me to a dead end.
But down there in the rabbit hole, I happened upon a looking glass (1) which saw right through me; my sin had found me out. Fortunately for me, the knowledge of good and evil did not arrive empty-handed. It brought fear along with it--the same fear that prompted Adam and Eve to hide in the garden.
So for the first time, on an existential level, I was afraid.
***
I thought I'd reached the end, but it proved to be the beginning:
The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom. (Proverbs 9:10)
Exposed before that mirror, in fear for my life, I wondered who could save me.
"Who?" The question contained its own wisdom. I wasn't any longer asking what or where, but Who? My real intelligence, measured by the eternal absolute, shot through the roof that day even though I had no answer at that point.
***
Wisdom isn't a what. Proverbs chapter 8 shows Wisdom personified. Wisdom as a person is revealed to be the preincarnate Christ, coeval and coexistant with God:
The LORD possessed me (not ‘created me’) in the beginning of his way, before his works of old (Proverbs 8:22).
This beginning, like John 1:1--“In the beginning was the Word”--is an absolute, timeless beginning.
The rest of this magnificent passage anticipates 1 Corinthians 1:24 and 1:30, where Jesus is identified as both God's wisdom and our wisdom. Which means he's wisdom through and through!--
The LORD possessed me in the beginning of his way, before his works of old.
I was set up from everlasting, from the beginning, or ever the earth was.
When there were no depths, I was brought forth; when there were no fountains abounding with water.
Before the mountains were settled, before the hills was I brought forth:
While as yet he had not made the earth, nor the fields, nor the primal dust of the world.
When he prepared the heavens, I was there: when he set a compass upon the face of the depth:
When he established the clouds above: when he strengthened the fountains of the deep:
When he gave to the sea his decree, that the waters should not pass his commandment: when he appointed the foundations of the earth:
Then I was by him, as one brought up with him: and I was daily his delight, rejoicing always before him;
Rejoicing in the habitable part of his earth; and my delights were with the sons of men.
Now therefore hearken unto me, O ye children: for blessed are they that keep my ways.
Hear instruction, and be wise, and refuse it not.
Blessed is the man who hears me, watching daily at my gates, waiting at the posts of my doors.
For whoever finds me finds life, and shall obtain favor from the LORD.
But he who sins against me wrongs his own soul: all they that hate me love death.   (Proverbs 8:22 -- 36)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
(1) see James 1:23-25

No comments:

Post a Comment