Monday, June 18, 2018

typecast

(Note: This article was first published on this date six years ago.)
The Word for today:
1 Peter 1:13-2:3
Typecast…
Hollywood portrays Peter as the ignorant fisherman. Wrong, as usual.
In the first few verses of 1 Peter he handles the great doctrines of election, foreknowledge, sanctification, obedience, the blood of Christ, the Trinity, the grace of God, salvation, revelation, glory, faith, and hope.
At least they were right about him being a fisherman…
But there’ll be some changes made…
I like to read Peter because he is an example of how Jesus Christ rubs off on those who spend their time with him.
When we first encountered Peter in the gospels, he was impetuous, but in his epistles he is patient. The transforming power of the gospel had wrought this change in his life.
No brag, just fact…
Over the weekend  we buried my 97-year-old Mother. My family, many of whom I now see at funerals only, were back in their hometown for the first time since we buried my nephew over 5 years ago.
I did not set out to ingratiate or endear myself to anyone, but Shelley was asked -- by more than a few -- if I had undergone a lobotomy! That was their hard-edged way of telling her that they noticed a positive change in me. What’s better yet is that even those who do not believe in Jesus gave him credit for my “lobotomy.” They all knew that He’s the one I’ve been hanging out with since they saw me last.
I hope you don’t think I’m bragging about either Peter or myself.  I just wanted you to know that some will continue to label you with a label that has long since worn off. You will always be typecast by some, especially by those who don’t want to see -- in anyone’s life -- the latent image of God come into sharper focus.
But don’t fret about them, because it is also true that if your changes proceed over years, you will be surprised by how many take notice, and even attribute the changes to a Jesus whom they do not believe in!
***
Maybe, just maybe, when they come back for my funeral, their hearts will change towards Him. So I hope that all of them will be born again  (but not for a long, long time!)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment