Monday, October 10, 2011

I just 'm.



The Word for today:
Proverbs 24

Most of my life I've been pretty queer (if queer still means queer.)  I'm pretty much a square, if you know what I mean. But you probably don't.

I was pretty groovy in my day, but that lasted for all of about 24 hours. I was never cool, and probably never will be. Which is probably good, because if I were ever to become cool, then cool wouldn't be cool anymore. If you know what I mean.

The Bible exudes a timelessness which out-cools cool. It is not subject to the winds of change, which makes it cooler still.

Because, as we all know, the one thing which disqualifies a person from being cool is trying to be cool. In fact, the ultimate law of cool is this:
If you're trying to be, you're not.

The Bible never tries to be--because, like its author, it just is. You don't need to strive to be what you are. That's why God's name--I AM--is the coolest name that ever was or will be (1).

***

When my daughter Gwenlyn was very small, she was so self-possessed, so absolutely comfortable in her own skin, that it was almost, well, divine. She was too little to articulate it, but other people could just feel that she had no aspirations to become anything other than what she was; that to become anything other than what she was would be a step down.

People marveled over her, and regularly would ask her, "Gwenlyn, how'd you get to be so cool (or so smart, or so happy, or so gorgeous)."  Her answer was always the same:

"I just 'm."

God just 'm and his Word just 'm, too. It doesn't aspire toward 'true,' because it already is. It doesn't seek to become 'relevant,' because it already is.

So to you who have put your faith in--and built your life around--the Word of God, I just want to tell you that you are where it's at, so don't move the marker!--
Don't move an old stone that marks a border, because those stones were set up by your ancestors. (Proverbs 22:28)

Don't try to move the Rock!  Though the world may try to marginalize you now, remember that if you stand with, by, and for the Rock, then you're at the everlasting epicenter!

Just stay right where you 'r', because cool is eventually going to have to come your way, or it won't be cool anymore.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
(1) see Exodus3:14; John 8:58

No comments:

Post a Comment