Friday, March 17, 2017

alone, with your thoughts, in the rain

The Word for today:
Luke 9:57-10:12
mark this: Luke 9:62
No one who puts his hand to the plow and looks back is fit for the kingdom of God.
No one has ever demanded more from his followers than Jesus did:
And he said to all, "If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me. For whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will save it. For what does it profit a man if he gains the whole world and loses or forfeits himself? (Luke 9:23-25)
And no one has phrased things this bluntly:
To another he said, "Follow me." But he said, "Lord, let me first go and bury my father."
And Jesus said to him, "Leave the dead to bury their own dead; but as for you, go and proclaim the kingdom of God." (Luke 9:59-60)
***
I'm going to encourage some introspection today. And then I'm going to leave you alone with your thoughts.
You'll need a pencil and a big blank sheet of paper.
Now draw a line right down the middle.
At the top left, write "What will I lose by following Jesus with my whole heart?"
At the top right, write "What will I gain by following Jesus with my whole heart?"
Then flip the paper over. Draw a line down the middle again.
At the top left, write "Have I put my hand to the plow?"
At the top right, write "Am I looking back?"
***
You are on your own. The Stand in the Rain article for today is what you will write on that paper.
God bless your deliberations.  Remember Lot's wife (1).
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
(1) Luke 17:32; cf. Genesis 19:17, 26

No comments:

Post a Comment