Wednesday, March 1, 2017

this could be your day

The Word for today:
Genesis 6
mark this: Genesis 5:21-24
Enoch lived sixty-five years, and begot Methuselah.
After he begot Methuselah, Enoch walked with God three hundred years, and had sons and daughters.
So all the days of Enoch were three hundred and sixty-five years.
And Enoch walked with God; and he was not,  for God took him.
About a month ago, Stand in the Rain answered this question:
Q. Is hell pictured in the Bible?
A. Yes, a clear and definitive picture of hell can be found in scripture:
"My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?" (Psalm 22:1: Matthew 27:46)
I've been asked, since then, if there is a corresponding verse that gives us a picture of heaven. There certainly is:
Enoch walked with God, and he was not, for God took him. (Genesis 5:24)
I could go on and on about Enoch. There are only a few verses in scripture about him, and yet he means so much to so many.
I could tell you how he has become a symbol of what is called the Rapture of the church, when God will take believers out of an unbelieving world just before judgment falls.
Or I could tell you how, like many of us, Enoch did not turn to God until later in life--when, it seems, the birth of a child caused him to take stock, and turn his life around.
But I think I'll step aside and let a little girl tell us about him instead. The story begins when her Mom asked her what she'd learned that day in Sunday School:
“Our teacher told us about Enoch and how he walked with God.”
“Well," her Mom asked, "what about Enoch?”
“It happened that every day God would come by and say to Enoch, ‘Enoch, would you like to walk with Me?’ And Enoch would come out of his house and down to the gate, and he’d go walking with God. He got to the place that he enjoyed it so much that he’d be waiting at the gate of his house every day. And God would come along and say, ‘Enoch, let’s take a walk.’ Then one day God came by and said, ‘Enoch, let’s take a long walk. I have so much to tell you.’ So they were walking and walking, and finally Enoch said, ‘My, it’s getting late in the afternoon. I’d better get back home!’ And God said to him, ‘Enoch, you’re closer to My home than you are to your home; so you come on home with Me.’ And so Enoch went home with God.”
***
Enoch had never walked with God until, one day, he did. I had never walked with God until, one day, I did.
You may have never walked with God. The only thing that means is that this could be your day.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment