Saturday, December 19, 2009

a glimpse behind the curtain at the genesis of sin



The Word for today:
Isaiah 13:1 - 14:23

Mark this: Isaiah 14:12-14 --

How you are fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning!

How you are cut down to the ground, You who weakened the nations! For you have said in your heart: 'I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above the stars of God; I will also sit on the mount of the congregation On the farthest sides of the north; I will ascend above the heights of the clouds, I will be like the Most High.'

Satan doesn't hold any particular fascination for me. He's another sinner, like I am--no more, no less.

What does interest me is where sin springs from, because if I know where it's coming from, I won't be blindsided by it.

The genesis of sin is more clearly seen in Isaiah 14 than anywhere else in scripture. Sin's basic formula is this: For you have said in your heart, "I will." Sin is setting one's will against the will of God.

I need not be on the lookout for Satan. Satan's will won't trip me up. Satan's sin is his own.
The wellspring of my sin lies at the very door of my own heart::
Sin is crouching at the door. Its desire is for you, but you must rule over it. (1)

Satan said, "I will."
But Jesus said, Father, if thou be willing, remove this cup from me: nevertheless not my will, but thine, be done. (2)

Sin crouches at the door, like a lion seeking someone to devour (3). You open yourself up to sin when your heart says "I will."
Jesus stands at the door, hoping to be asked in for supper! (4) You open that door when you say in your heart, "Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven." (5)

(1) Genesis 4:7; (2) Luke 22:42; (3) 1 Peter 5:8; (4) Revelation 3:20; (5) Matthew 6:10

No comments:

Post a Comment